Gryphon Trio, with Patricia O'Callaghan and Maryem Hassan Tollar in Christos Hatzis' - Co-presented by The Banff Centre
From Toronto • At THE GRAND
“A multilayered, multicultural piece of musical theatre ... one of the most ambitious works in the Canadian repertory ... a work impossible to resist.”
- The Globe and Mail
In the Middle Ages, Constantinople was the world’s largest and richest city, a gateway where Christian Europe met the Islamic world in an exultant coexistence. When the Juno Award-winning Gryphon Trio embarked on a large-scale, culturally-convergent musical project, the Queen of Cities became their muse.
In 1998, the Trio approached world-renowned Greek-Canadian composer Christos Hatzis to sculpt a multicultural music experience. The result: eight distinct movements that soar effortlessly from Greek Orthodox chants to Celtic fiddling, cocktail jazz to Islamic prayer. Joining forces with Middle Eastern vocalist Maryem Hassan Tollar and soprano Patricia O’Callaghan, they crafted a multidisciplinary masterpiece that has toured to overwhelming acclaim across Canada and to London’s Royal Opera House. Constantinople transforms the theatre into a culturally-transcendent utopia, where dazzling projections of stained glass and tracery dance to the euphoric harmonies of borderless sound.
- Gryphon Trio – Musicians
- Annalee Patipatanakoon – Violin
- Roman Borys – Cello
- Jamie Parker – Piano
- Maryem Hassan Tollar – Middle Eastern Vocalist
- Patricia O’Callaghan – Soprano
- Christos Hatzis – Original Concept and Music
- Marie-Josée Chartier – Director/Choreographer
- John Murrell – Scripting Advisor
- Lionel Arnould – Visual projection concept development
- Jacques Collin & Lionel Arnould – Visual projection design & production
- Bernard White – Set and lighting design
- Hugh Connacher – Lighting design
- Heather MacCrimmon – Costume design
- Anthony Crea – Sound design/engineer
- Caroline Hollway – Production Manager
- Roman Borys – Executive Producer
- Ottie Lockey – Associate Producer
- Sophie Vayro – Administrator
Originally produced by the Gryphon Trio in partnership with the Banff Centre, Music Toronto, and Tapestry New Opera Works with production development assistance from Ex Machina.
Friday, January 11 & Saturday, January 12 at 7:30 PM - Admission: $40
At THE GRAND: 608 - 1 St. S.W.
Tickets available through:
Or order by phone:
Ticketmaster (403) 299-8888
THE GRAND: 403-205-2922